Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Reality of Parenthood

There are some moments in the day that literally bring tears to my eyes. Tonight I had one such moment when Calvin got out of his bed for the twentieth time and meekly came over to me and said, "Mommy, I love you." Don't get me wrong, many nights I fuss (OK, yell) at him to get back in bed and stay there (getting out of bed to say "I love you" is one of his favorite things to do after he has been tucked in for the night)... but tonight I was bone tired. So instead I hugged him a little extra and told him I loved him too, and as he walked back to his room the tears flowed. I have been battling, um caring for, kids all day, and my voice was even all worn out. I was feeling bad about yelling at the kids earlier for not listening, fighting, hitting, being too wild, and teasing each other. And I had lost my temper when they splashed water all over the ceiling and every other surface in the bathroom during bath. The tears flowed, and I prayed for the strength to do this job, and then I thanked God they were all finally in bed! While sometimes I think modern society (the internet) puts pressure on us to be the perfect parent, I am grateful for the insight (shared by others on the internet) that I am not a bad parent, and that this reality is very normal.  There are so many good moments and those make it all worthwhile. Children are the best thing in life, and it's the little things they do, like the extra hug from Jack as I tucked him in and the one last "I love you" from Calvin, that I cherish and hold onto in my heart. When the day is said and done I know this life is truly a blessing.

-Mommy/Amy

No comments: