Monday, August 20, 2012

Miss Mary Lee is One

Jack told me on the eve of Mary Lee's first birthday that he didn't want her to turn one because he wanted her to always stay his "Miss." I told him that she will always be his baby sister no matter how old she gets...just like he would always be my baby no matter how much taller he grows than me.
 
Bittersweet. I guess that is the theme with your last baby. I hold onto everything a little bit longer with Mary Lee...savoring the sweetness, soaking up the moment, and burning the experience into my memory by playing it over and over again in my head.  The problem is Mary Lee is a girl on the move, rapidly exploring the next thing and dragging me along with her! No time really for dwelling or lingering in the moment with this girl (that's what this blog is for I suppose).  My parents once described life with me growing up like stepping onto a roller coaster - it was an exciting ride, one in which they followed me around every crazy turn, and up and down the steep hills of life...until I grew up, and now they consider themselves the old folks watching from the sidelines as I fly by waving to them.  Now, with Mary Lee... I totally relate.

Today was fairly low key. The party to celebrate with everyone is this weekend. We had a trial surprise run thanks to sweet Bop last night. I think Mary Lee likes birthday parties! We did attempt to have a family picnic dinner up in the play set which quickly turned into a disaster with Mary Lee dumping out all of her food, grabbing everyone's food and drinks, and constantly trying to crawl down. It was a hectic meal to say the least! I ended up taking her inside and fixing her a new dinner where she ate confined to the high chair.

Where to begin....dear Mary Lee.... you are a burst of energy, full of life and passion. You are inquisitive, opinionated, independent-minded, and funny. Tonight we read "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do you Hear?" and we had the best time laughing together (I mean full out belly laughing) as we took turns making the animals noises to go along with each page. You, of course, made all of the necessary growling noises (your specialty), and I filled in for the elephant, peacock, and walrus. It was a hoot! I love laughing with you.

Mary Lee, you LOVE your pink blankie. So much so that we bought a second one for you for your birthday...a backup, just in case. You love to have it wrapped around your head (even when you sleep), and you turn into a wild child frequently when you play with it. You also love to play with balls, balloons, and small toys (ones that you can carry around in your hands, or conveniently suck on in your mouth like a pacifier). You are fascinated by rolling or throwing a ball and chasing after it. You are talking some now...with your favorite word being "Daddy." We will walk around the grocery and you will call for him, and even during the day while he is at work you cry out for him. You love to stand at the bottom of the stairs and call "Daddeeeee!" When you can't find him you always think he is upstairs.  A total Daddy's girl! You also say "ball," "bye bye," "Mama," "Jack," and "Calvin" (which sounds more just like the letter C). We are also pretty sure you say, "What's that?" and it is pretty funny. Of course you babble all day long and appear to be speaking in full sentences, but we can't understand you yet.  You are starting to get interested in walking and will hold on with two hands and take steps. You can cruise along the furniture, and CLIMB, all day long. Climb, yes, up the staircase in 6 seconds flat! We promptly installed a baby gate for that trick. I have even caught you climbing up on a chair and standing in the window. Yikes! You love music and will stop whatever you are doing and dance when you hear something playing. I love that.

You continue to adore your older brothers, but you don't cut them any slack. One night in the bath tub they were hogging the front near the water. And apparently that was where you desired to be, so you grabbed a fist full of each brothers' shoulder, squeezed, and screamed with all your might to get your point across. It worked, and both of them started crying to Mommy. You go girl! 

We love you Mary Lee, and we look forward to the exciting roller coaster ride of raising you. Thank you in advance for the fun times, the moments of learning, and the experiences of love.
Happy 1st Birthday!


Birthday morning breakfast
She frequently wears this blanket on her head. It brings out her wilder side.


Daddy's girl
Our attempt at a birthday picnic on the play set



These photos were taken at the end of the day shortly before bed. I chased her around with a camera in tow to capture just how active she is!

The wheels are turning...
Look at me Mommy!
"Don't tell me NO!"
busy, busy, busy

Is that a mischievous face or what?
I think she is mocking me.

Another one of my favorite tricks.

-Mommy/Amy


No comments: